Monday, July 20, 2009

Meadow flowers coming on

Our meadow is beginning to come into bloom. Here are the first flowers:

Monarda didyma - I love their soft color and interesting shape

Rudbeckia hirta with what I'm guessing is a switch grass
(Panicum virgatum)

Echinacea pallida - the delicate-looking pale coneflower

Purple prairie clover (Dalea purpurea)
We saw this in Colorado, and grew it from seed
and added it to the meadow

Butterfly milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa), a favorite Monarch butterfly
plant, which I had not seen in the meadow before,
even though it was part of the seed mix.

More information about our meadow is here at my website.

© Yvonne Cunnington, Country Gardener

2 comments:

  1. So very beautiful Yvonne! I love all these flowers. The Monarda is just a sweet color. I'm planning my meadow in my head. Can't wait to see if I can pull it off someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My "meadow" ,our hay-field, was just cut a few days ago and baled yesterday. I am looking forward to seeing a real flower meadow soon.
    Lene

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener