Monday, March 09, 2009

Signs of Spring Part 1: snowdrops and robins

Here they are, huddled against the cold, our first flowers of the year, the stalwart little snowdrops. Yesterday, there was no sign of robins, but our dog walk this afternoon was filled with birdsong. The robins are here again: spring is on the way.

The Germans have a nice word for this time of year, much nicer than our "mud season". It's Vorfrühling, which means pre-spring (the prefix "vor" meaning "prior to"). That's where we are right now.

© Yvonne Cunnington, Country Gardener

3 comments:

  1. I've seen those from my friends in England!! I think it's time to celebrate Yvonne!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't the Vorfrühling green foliage and white buds of the snowdrops look beautifully commanding against the dull brown of the leaf and stem litter? And it's awful muddy here too. ;~)

    Muddy enough that I must wear my "peflins" when out and about.

    "Peflins" was the "Word Verification" word and I like word play and often make up my own just for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, how beautiful. Mine haven't shown up yet!
    Spring is my favorite season - everything seems so intense and full of promise!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener