Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Verdict for January: cold and snowy

One of the great things about a garden blog is that it serves as a kind of diary. I've never been one to keep an official garden record on paper, so this helps.

We've had a colder-than-normal January. The average temperature was -9.5 C (that's 14.5 F). The normal average temperature for January in Hamilton hovers at -6 C.

We've also had a lot more snow, 62 centimetres of the white stuff (more than 2 feet), and about 20 cm more than normal for January. In fact, the snow is so deep that it's hard to get around even on snowshoes, but I manage. I just make the outings a bit shorter. The dogs are up to their bellies in the snow - they have to bound and jump to get around. Must get a picture of them in the snow tomorrow.

At the golf course today while it was snowing

© Yvonne Cunnington, Country Gardener

4 comments:

  1. The winter landscape is so beautiful with the clean snow. I always said that I like to live where we have 4 distinct seasons - now I am not so sure. Now it feels like winter is far too long, clearing snow almost every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am suprised to hear that you dont get more snow than that. Interesting. Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:56 PM

    Wow! Your really have been hit! We had some snow just before Christmas here in Portland, OR- something that we are not used to. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yvonne!! Whew...I'm so glad to be back. So much has happened in the almost two weeks of no blogging. We had a January thaw in February and now its back to snowing again! I know exactly what you are talking about. One day I snowshoed and had to leave the dogs home!! They would have had a very rough time! The gardens are still beautiful though and I'm happy to be back to see them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener