Thursday, June 12, 2008

Recycle your pots

I got this press release today about a pilot project to recycle plastics associated with garden products. If you live in near Milton and Halton Hills, and have been holding on to plant pots in the hopes of recycling them, here's your opportunity.

Consumers Encouraged to Recycle Plastic Garden Pots

Milton, Ontario, June 12, 2008 - Gardeners located in Milton and Halton Hills now have an opportunity to recycle their used flower pots. Landscape Ontario is proud to partner with a recycling company, Re-Source Ontario of Toronto in hosting a pilot project to divert thousands of pounds of plastic pots, trays, tags and greenhouse film from the local landfills. Many municipal recycling programs do not accept this material.

During the week of June 16 to June 20, four large containers will be located at the Milton office of Landscape Ontario. Members of the public are encouraged to drop off their used horticultural plastic during business hours at 7856 Fifth Line, just south of Steeles.

The week-long demonstration will help the entire horticultural industry to evaluate the feasibility of long-term projects to recycle plastic gardening waste.
For additional information, please contact:
Lorraine Ivanoff, Tel: 1-800-265-5656 ext 366
Email: lorraine@landscapeontario.com

© Yvonne Cunnington, Country Gardener

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:58 AM

    Hi Yvonne,

    I think this is a great idea! Luckily, in my small town one of the local nurseries/garden centers has been offering this service themselves for at least the past two years. This year the garden center at the Zehr's grocery store is also offering recycling for plant containers. Good to hear that these efforts are expanding!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look in my area for something like this! I have stacks and stacks of buckets in my shed! It's a great idea to keep some handy for plant sharing but I think I have more than enough right now!!
    Thanks Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener