Friday, August 03, 2007

Purslane for lunch

I generally pull weeds, but yesterday for a change I ate weeds, specifically purslane (Portulaca oleracea), which I put into my lunch salad. I wanted to give purslane a try after reading this article at the Nutrition Data blog, where nutrition maven Monica Reinagel writes:
"Purslane is one of the richest vegetable sources of omega-3 fatty acids.

A big part of the reason that the meat from pasture-raised cattle (and wild game) is higher in omega-3 fats is because grazing animals favor these succulent wild greens and will eat them preferentially over other grasses. It makes good grazing for people, too. According to research published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 100 grams of purslane contains 300-400 mg of omega-3 fats (alpha-linolenic acid), along with over half a day's supply of vitamin E, a third of the day's vitamin C, and a quarter of the day's vitamin A. But does it taste good?"
To answer the question: Yes, it tastes fine. Like many salad ingredients, to my mind, it doesn't have a strong taste. Being really into healthy eating, I think I'll collect it when I can. Who knew that it's such a good source of omega 3s?

I'm kind of sorry I ate the purslane before taking a picture of it, and believe it or not, I can't find any more of it at the moment, but there are pictures and more info at wikipedia.org.

There are some purslane recipes at the Prairieland Community Supported Agriculture site.

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea that purslane could contain Omega3. I just associated it with oily fish and linseed. will definitely grow some more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:15 PM

    I had lot's of purslane when we had a farm with more clay.It isn't growing as well in our new location with sandy soil.Thanks for the info..I will be watching for it now.I always thought it resembled portulaca, now I know why.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:53 AM

    Purslane has always been the worst weed in my garden. I have known for a long time how nutritious it is, but have never tried it. Maybe I will check out those recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener