Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ice storm - the bigger picture


The photo of the grass stem encased in ice that I posted this morning doesn't give you the big picture. Later I made this photo of the grasses and shrubs in my front garden, which shows more of the ice storm's effect.

I'll take a snow storm over an ice storm any day, but I have to admit that this storm created a lot of glittering beauty and not too much mayhem, at least on my own property. One neighbor did lose a tree, uprooted by the weight of the ice, and another lost power for a day.

The temperature is going to rise above freezing for a day or so now, so the ice will start to melt. There was no snow on the ground before the storm, so every little grass became coated in ice, which has made it tough on dog paws. We've had considerably shorter walks in the past couple of days.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:38 AM

    The weather here in New Zealand is at the other end of the sphere! Hot and humid. The photo of the ice one the grasses is truely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener